Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cameras, and lenses and accessories, oh my...

I wish I could have started this blog two weeks ago. The last two weeks have been a roller-coaster of not being able to sleep, bothering friends for advice and reinforcement of my decisions, and just in general me acting like a complete crazy. Over what? Over a camera. In the end I landed with the Nikon D90 and its kit lens, the Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 . I was going to add the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 but had to cut it last minute due to, well, money. So with all of the dozens of camera options and hundreds of lens options, how did I land on the D90?

Picking the D90 was actually the easy part. I did some early research on the whole Cannon vs. Nikon debate and I learned one very important thing, there is no right answer. Cannon vs. Nikon is like Cards vs. Cubs... no, that's a bad example because the Cardinals are so obviously better than the Cubs. Honestly though, it seams like people are either Nikon people or Cannon people. So I went with Nikon. And really for only one reason, I know Nikon people. I wanted to be able to talk and ask questions to my friends who were avid Nikon users. Then when it came to picking which camera to pick, I went with budget. I picked the best camera I could afford. I dabbled with the idea of the new D7000, but couldn't justify the extra cost when the D90 was and is still an awesome camera (or so I hear). I did read lots and lots of reviews to reinforce that I made the right decision.


The lens was a completely different story. There were several nights that I was up until 3, 4, 5 o'clock in the morning reading reviews looking for the perfect lens for both what I needed and could afford. At first I decided that I wanted a prime, or non-zoom lens. The quality is better and I wanted the good quality stuff. After a recommendation from a friend, I was either going to get the 28mm f/2.8 or on the other end the the 85mm f/1.8. After figuring out what all those numbers meant, I was set on the 85mm. the reviews were awesome. I love pictures with a really shallow depth of field, and that would give me the best look. For a long time that was the answer. But the more I read, the more I realized that I would have to stand in the kitchen to get a half body picture of the kids. While it would have looked great, not exactly a practical first time lens. What about that 28mm? Close ups would be to hard and it wouldn't give me as awesome of a blur. Then I stumbled along the little 50mm gem. It seemed to be perfect. low f #, great price and a focal length that was workable. But I kept wondering about a zoom lens. The flexibility it offered was enticing for a first timer like my self. But zoom lenses are more expensive and out of my price range, and I knew I didn't want the kit lens. Kit lenses are crap right? Well as it turns out, the lens that comes with the Nikon D90 is one of the better kit lenses out there. So after hours and hours and hours of reading and stressing I decided to go with the kit instead of just the body and get the 50mm f/1.8 on top of that, just so I could have a good prime too.

Well like I said the 50mm fell through. I had to cut something and I'm going to just get it for my birthday in April (or sooner, well see). So now I sit and wait. I ordered my camera and all the fixins (bag, books, filter, etc) a couple of days ago through Amazon. I should have it all by Thursday or Friday.

Did I make the right decisions? We will find out together I guess. I'm sure I'll cry when I just can't get it and think I'm awesome when I'm not. It should be an interesting journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment